Combination chemotherapy of advanced chronic lymphocytic leukemia: The M-2 protocol (vincristine, BCNU, cyclophosphamide, melphalan, and prednisone)

S. Kempin, B. J. Lee, H. T. Thaler, B. Koziner, S. Hecht, T. Gee, Z. Arlin, C. Little, D. Straus, L. Reich, E. Phillips, Hamid Al-Mondhiry, M. Dowling, K. Mayer, B. Clarkson

Research output: Contribution to journalReview articlepeer-review

71 Scopus citations

Abstract

The M-2 protocol (vincristine, cyclophosphamide, BCNU, melphalan, and prednisone) was administered monthly to 63 evaluable patients with advanced chronic lymphocytic leukemia. Complete remission (absence of all clinical and bone marrow evidence of leukemia) and partial response (> 50% decrease in organ enlargement and reduction of WBC count to below 15,000 x 106/liter) were achieved in 17% and 44%, respectively, for a total response rate of 61%. The median survivals from therapy of patients achieving a CR, PR, or no response were 73+, 40, and 14 mo respectively. The median survival time from onset of treatment for stages II, III, and IV disease were 47, 20 and 19 mo, respectively, which was not statistically different from historical controls. However, when untreated patients are compared to this latter group, a significant survival advantage from diagnosis was found (p = 0.01), stressing the importance of prior therapy as the only unfavorable prognostic factor. Although complete remissions in CLL, as reflected in apparently normal bone marrow B-lymphocyte markers, can be induced with acceptable morbidity, the majority of patients relapse after cessation of therapy. An alternative approach to the M-2 protocol will be needed to eradicate the disease.

Original languageEnglish (US)
Pages (from-to)1110-1121
Number of pages12
JournalBlood
Volume60
Issue number5
StatePublished - 1982

All Science Journal Classification (ASJC) codes

  • Biochemistry
  • Immunology
  • Hematology
  • Cell Biology

Fingerprint Dive into the research topics of 'Combination chemotherapy of advanced chronic lymphocytic leukemia: The M-2 protocol (vincristine, BCNU, cyclophosphamide, melphalan, and prednisone)'. Together they form a unique fingerprint.

Cite this