Effects of prescription niacin and omega-3 fatty acids on lipids and vascular function in metabolic syndrome

A randomized controlled trial

Gregory C. Shearer, James V. Pottala, Susan N. Hansen, Verdayne Brandenburg, William S. Harris

Research output: Contribution to journalArticle

25 Citations (Scopus)

Abstract

The metabolic syndrome includes both dyslipidemia and impaired vascular function. Because extended-release niacin (ERN) and prescription omega-3 acid ethyl-esters (P-OM3) independently improve these characteristics, we tested their effects in combination. Sixty metabolic syndrome subjects were randomized to 16 weeks of treatment on dual placebo, P-OM3 (4g/day), ERN (2 g/day), or combination in a double-blind trial. Lipoprotein subfractions and vascular endpoints were measured and tested using ANCOVA. ERN increased HDL cholesterol by 5.4 mg/dl from baseline (P = 0.04), decreased triglycerides (TG) by 39 mg/dl (-21%, P = 0.003), and decreased the augmentation index, which is a measure of vascular stiffness, by 3.5 units (P = 0.04). P-OM3 reduced TG by 26 mg/dl (-13%, P = 0.04). Combination treatment increased HDL cholesterol by 7.8 mg/dl (P = 002) and decreased TG by 72 mg/dl (-34%) but there was no improvement in vascular stiffness. Detailed analysis of lipoprotein subfractions revealed increased large, bouyant HDL2 (3.3 mg/dl; P = 0.002) and decreased VLDL1+2 (-32%; P < 0.0001), among subjects treated with combination therapy, that were not present with either therapy alone. ERN and P-OM3 alone improved characteristics of metabolic syndrome; however, whereas subjects on combination therapy did not have improved vascular stiffness, TG and HDL levels improved as did certain lipoprotein subfractions.

Original languageEnglish (US)
Pages (from-to)2429-2435
Number of pages7
JournalJournal of Lipid Research
Volume53
Issue number11
DOIs
StatePublished - Nov 1 2012

Fingerprint

Niacin
Omega-3 Fatty Acids
Prescriptions
Blood Vessels
Triglycerides
Randomized Controlled Trials
Vascular Stiffness
Lipoproteins
Lipids
Stiffness
HDL Cholesterol
Therapeutics
Dyslipidemias
Esters
Acids
Placebos

All Science Journal Classification (ASJC) codes

  • Biochemistry
  • Cell Biology
  • Endocrinology

Cite this

Shearer, Gregory C. ; Pottala, James V. ; Hansen, Susan N. ; Brandenburg, Verdayne ; Harris, William S. / Effects of prescription niacin and omega-3 fatty acids on lipids and vascular function in metabolic syndrome : A randomized controlled trial. In: Journal of Lipid Research. 2012 ; Vol. 53, No. 11. pp. 2429-2435.
@article{21a6ee2aedbe44648eb2dcdc6b3566d9,
title = "Effects of prescription niacin and omega-3 fatty acids on lipids and vascular function in metabolic syndrome: A randomized controlled trial",
abstract = "The metabolic syndrome includes both dyslipidemia and impaired vascular function. Because extended-release niacin (ERN) and prescription omega-3 acid ethyl-esters (P-OM3) independently improve these characteristics, we tested their effects in combination. Sixty metabolic syndrome subjects were randomized to 16 weeks of treatment on dual placebo, P-OM3 (4g/day), ERN (2 g/day), or combination in a double-blind trial. Lipoprotein subfractions and vascular endpoints were measured and tested using ANCOVA. ERN increased HDL cholesterol by 5.4 mg/dl from baseline (P = 0.04), decreased triglycerides (TG) by 39 mg/dl (-21{\%}, P = 0.003), and decreased the augmentation index, which is a measure of vascular stiffness, by 3.5 units (P = 0.04). P-OM3 reduced TG by 26 mg/dl (-13{\%}, P = 0.04). Combination treatment increased HDL cholesterol by 7.8 mg/dl (P = 002) and decreased TG by 72 mg/dl (-34{\%}) but there was no improvement in vascular stiffness. Detailed analysis of lipoprotein subfractions revealed increased large, bouyant HDL2 (3.3 mg/dl; P = 0.002) and decreased VLDL1+2 (-32{\%}; P < 0.0001), among subjects treated with combination therapy, that were not present with either therapy alone. ERN and P-OM3 alone improved characteristics of metabolic syndrome; however, whereas subjects on combination therapy did not have improved vascular stiffness, TG and HDL levels improved as did certain lipoprotein subfractions.",
author = "Shearer, {Gregory C.} and Pottala, {James V.} and Hansen, {Susan N.} and Verdayne Brandenburg and Harris, {William S.}",
year = "2012",
month = "11",
day = "1",
doi = "10.1194/jlr.P022392",
language = "English (US)",
volume = "53",
pages = "2429--2435",
journal = "Journal of Lipid Research",
issn = "0022-2275",
publisher = "American Society for Biochemistry and Molecular Biology Inc.",
number = "11",

}

Effects of prescription niacin and omega-3 fatty acids on lipids and vascular function in metabolic syndrome : A randomized controlled trial. / Shearer, Gregory C.; Pottala, James V.; Hansen, Susan N.; Brandenburg, Verdayne; Harris, William S.

In: Journal of Lipid Research, Vol. 53, No. 11, 01.11.2012, p. 2429-2435.

Research output: Contribution to journalArticle

TY - JOUR

T1 - Effects of prescription niacin and omega-3 fatty acids on lipids and vascular function in metabolic syndrome

T2 - A randomized controlled trial

AU - Shearer, Gregory C.

AU - Pottala, James V.

AU - Hansen, Susan N.

AU - Brandenburg, Verdayne

AU - Harris, William S.

PY - 2012/11/1

Y1 - 2012/11/1

N2 - The metabolic syndrome includes both dyslipidemia and impaired vascular function. Because extended-release niacin (ERN) and prescription omega-3 acid ethyl-esters (P-OM3) independently improve these characteristics, we tested their effects in combination. Sixty metabolic syndrome subjects were randomized to 16 weeks of treatment on dual placebo, P-OM3 (4g/day), ERN (2 g/day), or combination in a double-blind trial. Lipoprotein subfractions and vascular endpoints were measured and tested using ANCOVA. ERN increased HDL cholesterol by 5.4 mg/dl from baseline (P = 0.04), decreased triglycerides (TG) by 39 mg/dl (-21%, P = 0.003), and decreased the augmentation index, which is a measure of vascular stiffness, by 3.5 units (P = 0.04). P-OM3 reduced TG by 26 mg/dl (-13%, P = 0.04). Combination treatment increased HDL cholesterol by 7.8 mg/dl (P = 002) and decreased TG by 72 mg/dl (-34%) but there was no improvement in vascular stiffness. Detailed analysis of lipoprotein subfractions revealed increased large, bouyant HDL2 (3.3 mg/dl; P = 0.002) and decreased VLDL1+2 (-32%; P < 0.0001), among subjects treated with combination therapy, that were not present with either therapy alone. ERN and P-OM3 alone improved characteristics of metabolic syndrome; however, whereas subjects on combination therapy did not have improved vascular stiffness, TG and HDL levels improved as did certain lipoprotein subfractions.

AB - The metabolic syndrome includes both dyslipidemia and impaired vascular function. Because extended-release niacin (ERN) and prescription omega-3 acid ethyl-esters (P-OM3) independently improve these characteristics, we tested their effects in combination. Sixty metabolic syndrome subjects were randomized to 16 weeks of treatment on dual placebo, P-OM3 (4g/day), ERN (2 g/day), or combination in a double-blind trial. Lipoprotein subfractions and vascular endpoints were measured and tested using ANCOVA. ERN increased HDL cholesterol by 5.4 mg/dl from baseline (P = 0.04), decreased triglycerides (TG) by 39 mg/dl (-21%, P = 0.003), and decreased the augmentation index, which is a measure of vascular stiffness, by 3.5 units (P = 0.04). P-OM3 reduced TG by 26 mg/dl (-13%, P = 0.04). Combination treatment increased HDL cholesterol by 7.8 mg/dl (P = 002) and decreased TG by 72 mg/dl (-34%) but there was no improvement in vascular stiffness. Detailed analysis of lipoprotein subfractions revealed increased large, bouyant HDL2 (3.3 mg/dl; P = 0.002) and decreased VLDL1+2 (-32%; P < 0.0001), among subjects treated with combination therapy, that were not present with either therapy alone. ERN and P-OM3 alone improved characteristics of metabolic syndrome; however, whereas subjects on combination therapy did not have improved vascular stiffness, TG and HDL levels improved as did certain lipoprotein subfractions.

UR - http://www.scopus.com/inward/record.url?scp=84867358576&partnerID=8YFLogxK

UR - http://www.scopus.com/inward/citedby.url?scp=84867358576&partnerID=8YFLogxK

U2 - 10.1194/jlr.P022392

DO - 10.1194/jlr.P022392

M3 - Article

VL - 53

SP - 2429

EP - 2435

JO - Journal of Lipid Research

JF - Journal of Lipid Research

SN - 0022-2275

IS - 11

ER -