Fascial interposition technique for vasectomy: Is it justified?

S. Shakeri, A. R. Aminsharifi, M. Khalafi

Research output: Contribution to journalArticlepeer-review

1 Scopus citations


Purpose: To assess the feasibility of the fascial interposition (FI) technique to improve the results of non-scalpel vasectomy (NSV) through a cost-effective modification. Patients and Methods: The outcome of the FI technique for NSV in 954 consecutive candidates treated by two surgeons was evaluated retrospectively. 726 (76%) of the clients had undergone NSV with FI (FI group) and for the other 228 (24%) NSV by simple ligation and excision (LE) without FI (NFI group) was performed. Demographic data, operative time and complications as well as vasectomy failures were analyzed between the two groups. Results: The two groups were age-matched and there were no significant differences between the two procedures regarding operative complications and operative time. 13 cases of vasectomy failures (5.7%) were detected after 3 months of follow-up, all in the NFI group. No vasectomy failure was recognized in the FI group. Conclusion: Combined use of FI with simple LE could be considered a simple effective method for NSV with a high success rate that allows the NSV to remain as a reliable option for contraception.

Original languageEnglish (US)
Pages (from-to)361-364
Number of pages4
JournalUrologia Internationalis
Issue number3
StatePublished - May 2009

All Science Journal Classification (ASJC) codes

  • Urology


Dive into the research topics of 'Fascial interposition technique for vasectomy: Is it justified?'. Together they form a unique fingerprint.

Cite this