Radiopharmaceutical options for the ventilation part of ventilation-perfusion scintigraphy performed for the indication of pulmonary embolism: US practice survey

Adam Opanowski, Lucas J. Gross, Mark Tulchinsky

Research output: Contribution to journalArticle

4 Citations (Scopus)

Abstract

Purpose This US survey aimed to determine (1) relative utilization of the 2 techniques, a gas radiopharmaceutical technique (GRT) versus aerosolized radiopharmaceutical technique (ART), in ventilation-perfusion scintigraphy done for pulmonary embolism indication and (2) radiopharmaceuticals (RFs) used. Patients and Methods Nuclear medicine physicians and technologists were sent a questionnaire asking which RF(s) their imaging facilities are using for ventilation imaging. Respondents were classified as reporting from academic/teaching facilities (ATFs) or from community-based facilities (CBFs). Results Of the 256 surveyed, 78 responded (30.5%), who reported about 158 facilities. Majority (90/158, 57%) were CBFs, whereas the rest (68/158, 43%) were ATFs. Overall, slight majority (92/158, 58%) used ART, 90 using 99mTc-DTPA, one using 99mTc-sulfur colloid (SC), and one using 99mTc-PYP. Minority (66/158, 42%) used GRT (all 133Xe). In the CBFs, a slight majority (55/90, 61%) used ART (including one that used 99mTc-PYP), whereas the rest 35 (39%) of 90 used GRT. In the ATFs, a slight majority (37/68, 54.4%) used ART (including 1 facility that used 99mTc-SC), whereas the rest (31/68, 45.6%) used GRT. There was no statistically significant difference in ART:GRT ratios between CBFs and ATFs (P = 0.35). Conclusions Aerosolized RF technique is overall more common (57%) than GRT, about the same at CBFs and at ATFs, and almost all ART using 99mTc-DTPA. Therefore, 99mTc-DTPA price increase would have impacted a significant number of the US facilities, which should increase interest in alternatives identified by this survey - 99mTc-SC and 99mTc-PYP.

Original languageEnglish (US)
Pages (from-to)553-558
Number of pages6
JournalClinical nuclear medicine
Volume40
Issue number7
DOIs
StatePublished - Jul 20 2015

Fingerprint

Perfusion Imaging
Radiopharmaceuticals
Pulmonary Embolism
Ventilation
Gases
Teaching
Pentetic Acid
Colloids
Sulfur
Surveys and Questionnaires
Nuclear Medicine

All Science Journal Classification (ASJC) codes

  • Radiology Nuclear Medicine and imaging

Cite this

@article{f3ae3074009e4ce494949b6affd8d72b,
title = "Radiopharmaceutical options for the ventilation part of ventilation-perfusion scintigraphy performed for the indication of pulmonary embolism: US practice survey",
abstract = "Purpose This US survey aimed to determine (1) relative utilization of the 2 techniques, a gas radiopharmaceutical technique (GRT) versus aerosolized radiopharmaceutical technique (ART), in ventilation-perfusion scintigraphy done for pulmonary embolism indication and (2) radiopharmaceuticals (RFs) used. Patients and Methods Nuclear medicine physicians and technologists were sent a questionnaire asking which RF(s) their imaging facilities are using for ventilation imaging. Respondents were classified as reporting from academic/teaching facilities (ATFs) or from community-based facilities (CBFs). Results Of the 256 surveyed, 78 responded (30.5{\%}), who reported about 158 facilities. Majority (90/158, 57{\%}) were CBFs, whereas the rest (68/158, 43{\%}) were ATFs. Overall, slight majority (92/158, 58{\%}) used ART, 90 using 99mTc-DTPA, one using 99mTc-sulfur colloid (SC), and one using 99mTc-PYP. Minority (66/158, 42{\%}) used GRT (all 133Xe). In the CBFs, a slight majority (55/90, 61{\%}) used ART (including one that used 99mTc-PYP), whereas the rest 35 (39{\%}) of 90 used GRT. In the ATFs, a slight majority (37/68, 54.4{\%}) used ART (including 1 facility that used 99mTc-SC), whereas the rest (31/68, 45.6{\%}) used GRT. There was no statistically significant difference in ART:GRT ratios between CBFs and ATFs (P = 0.35). Conclusions Aerosolized RF technique is overall more common (57{\%}) than GRT, about the same at CBFs and at ATFs, and almost all ART using 99mTc-DTPA. Therefore, 99mTc-DTPA price increase would have impacted a significant number of the US facilities, which should increase interest in alternatives identified by this survey - 99mTc-SC and 99mTc-PYP.",
author = "Adam Opanowski and Gross, {Lucas J.} and Mark Tulchinsky",
year = "2015",
month = "7",
day = "20",
doi = "10.1097/RLU.0000000000000763",
language = "English (US)",
volume = "40",
pages = "553--558",
journal = "Clinical Nuclear Medicine",
issn = "0363-9762",
publisher = "Lippincott Williams and Wilkins",
number = "7",

}

TY - JOUR

T1 - Radiopharmaceutical options for the ventilation part of ventilation-perfusion scintigraphy performed for the indication of pulmonary embolism

T2 - US practice survey

AU - Opanowski, Adam

AU - Gross, Lucas J.

AU - Tulchinsky, Mark

PY - 2015/7/20

Y1 - 2015/7/20

N2 - Purpose This US survey aimed to determine (1) relative utilization of the 2 techniques, a gas radiopharmaceutical technique (GRT) versus aerosolized radiopharmaceutical technique (ART), in ventilation-perfusion scintigraphy done for pulmonary embolism indication and (2) radiopharmaceuticals (RFs) used. Patients and Methods Nuclear medicine physicians and technologists were sent a questionnaire asking which RF(s) their imaging facilities are using for ventilation imaging. Respondents were classified as reporting from academic/teaching facilities (ATFs) or from community-based facilities (CBFs). Results Of the 256 surveyed, 78 responded (30.5%), who reported about 158 facilities. Majority (90/158, 57%) were CBFs, whereas the rest (68/158, 43%) were ATFs. Overall, slight majority (92/158, 58%) used ART, 90 using 99mTc-DTPA, one using 99mTc-sulfur colloid (SC), and one using 99mTc-PYP. Minority (66/158, 42%) used GRT (all 133Xe). In the CBFs, a slight majority (55/90, 61%) used ART (including one that used 99mTc-PYP), whereas the rest 35 (39%) of 90 used GRT. In the ATFs, a slight majority (37/68, 54.4%) used ART (including 1 facility that used 99mTc-SC), whereas the rest (31/68, 45.6%) used GRT. There was no statistically significant difference in ART:GRT ratios between CBFs and ATFs (P = 0.35). Conclusions Aerosolized RF technique is overall more common (57%) than GRT, about the same at CBFs and at ATFs, and almost all ART using 99mTc-DTPA. Therefore, 99mTc-DTPA price increase would have impacted a significant number of the US facilities, which should increase interest in alternatives identified by this survey - 99mTc-SC and 99mTc-PYP.

AB - Purpose This US survey aimed to determine (1) relative utilization of the 2 techniques, a gas radiopharmaceutical technique (GRT) versus aerosolized radiopharmaceutical technique (ART), in ventilation-perfusion scintigraphy done for pulmonary embolism indication and (2) radiopharmaceuticals (RFs) used. Patients and Methods Nuclear medicine physicians and technologists were sent a questionnaire asking which RF(s) their imaging facilities are using for ventilation imaging. Respondents were classified as reporting from academic/teaching facilities (ATFs) or from community-based facilities (CBFs). Results Of the 256 surveyed, 78 responded (30.5%), who reported about 158 facilities. Majority (90/158, 57%) were CBFs, whereas the rest (68/158, 43%) were ATFs. Overall, slight majority (92/158, 58%) used ART, 90 using 99mTc-DTPA, one using 99mTc-sulfur colloid (SC), and one using 99mTc-PYP. Minority (66/158, 42%) used GRT (all 133Xe). In the CBFs, a slight majority (55/90, 61%) used ART (including one that used 99mTc-PYP), whereas the rest 35 (39%) of 90 used GRT. In the ATFs, a slight majority (37/68, 54.4%) used ART (including 1 facility that used 99mTc-SC), whereas the rest (31/68, 45.6%) used GRT. There was no statistically significant difference in ART:GRT ratios between CBFs and ATFs (P = 0.35). Conclusions Aerosolized RF technique is overall more common (57%) than GRT, about the same at CBFs and at ATFs, and almost all ART using 99mTc-DTPA. Therefore, 99mTc-DTPA price increase would have impacted a significant number of the US facilities, which should increase interest in alternatives identified by this survey - 99mTc-SC and 99mTc-PYP.

UR - http://www.scopus.com/inward/record.url?scp=84931380959&partnerID=8YFLogxK

UR - http://www.scopus.com/inward/citedby.url?scp=84931380959&partnerID=8YFLogxK

U2 - 10.1097/RLU.0000000000000763

DO - 10.1097/RLU.0000000000000763

M3 - Article

C2 - 25899592

AN - SCOPUS:84931380959

VL - 40

SP - 553

EP - 558

JO - Clinical Nuclear Medicine

JF - Clinical Nuclear Medicine

SN - 0363-9762

IS - 7

ER -