The dairy chain in Italy experienced substantial structural changes during the past years. Since the introduction of milk quotas in 1984, structural changes caused by consistent reduction of dairy farms, growing brand concentration at wholesale level, and diffusion of private labels at retail level may have altered the competitive market conditions, with increasing price asymmetry and inefficiencies in price transmission. We tested this hypothesis using the McCorriston and Sheldon’s successive oligopoly model, and we gave evidences of altered price transmission and consumer’s surplus distribution along the vertical chain in the examined period.
All Science Journal Classification (ASJC) codes
- Food Science
- Business and International Management
- Geography, Planning and Development
- Environmental Science (miscellaneous)
- Economics, Econometrics and Finance (miscellaneous)
- Management Science and Operations Research