Sustained improvement in myocardial perfusion four to six years after PTCA in patients with a satisfactory angiographic result, six months after the procedure

N. Danchin, Annick Haouzi, M. Amor, G. Karcher, F. Brunotte, Y. Juilliere, M. Cuilliere, J. P. Villemot, C. Pernot, J. M. Gilgenkrantz, A. Bertrand, F. Cherrier

Research output: Contribution to journalArticle

3 Scopus citations

Abstract

Of 46 consecutive patients who underwent percutaneous transluminal coronary angioplasty (PTCA) from April 1980 to August 1982 and who had a satisfactory angiographic result six months later, one died of cancer and 41 had a detailed evaluation with exercise single-photon emission computed tomography (SPECT, 40 patients) or repeat coronary angiography (one patient), 48-78 months after the procedure. During follow-up, two patients had recurrent angina due to progression of coronary artery disease requiring a second PTCA procedure of another coronary artery; one of them later had a limited myocardial infarction in an area supplied by the vessel initially dilated. At follow-up, only one patient had definite angina. All but one patient had a negative exercise test. Myocardial perfusion during exercise in the PTCA-related area, assessed by SPECT, was normal in 90% of the patients and showed a limited defect due to reversible ischaemia in the remaining four (10%). It is concluded that patients with a less than 50% stenosis six months after PTCA show sustained improvement in their functional status and myocardial perfusion, four to six years after the procedure suggesting continued patency of the coronary artery.

Original languageEnglish (US)
Pages (from-to)454-457
Number of pages4
JournalEuropean Heart Journal
Volume9
Issue number4
DOIs
StatePublished - Jan 1 1988

All Science Journal Classification (ASJC) codes

  • Cardiology and Cardiovascular Medicine

Fingerprint Dive into the research topics of 'Sustained improvement in myocardial perfusion four to six years after PTCA in patients with a satisfactory angiographic result, six months after the procedure'. Together they form a unique fingerprint.

  • Cite this

    Danchin, N., Haouzi, A., Amor, M., Karcher, G., Brunotte, F., Juilliere, Y., Cuilliere, M., Villemot, J. P., Pernot, C., Gilgenkrantz, J. M., Bertrand, A., & Cherrier, F. (1988). Sustained improvement in myocardial perfusion four to six years after PTCA in patients with a satisfactory angiographic result, six months after the procedure. European Heart Journal, 9(4), 454-457. https://doi.org/10.1093/oxfordjournals.eurheartj.a062524